Business Meeting Minutes 2010
USAIN Business Meeting
11 May 2010
West Lafayette, Indiana
Call to Order: President Sheila Merrigan called the meeting to order at 8:05 AM.
Minutes of Previous Meeting: The minutes from the 29 April October 2008 meeting in Wooster, Ohio were accepted as posted on the USAIN web site.
Introduction of the Executive Council: Sheila introduced current and incoming EC members.
President: Sheila Merrigan
Past-President: Katie Newman
President-Elect: Allison Level
Secretary/Treasurer: Anita Ezzo
Directors: Connie Britton, Eboni Francis, Patricia Neenan, Nan Hyland, Julie Kelly, Marianne Stowell Bracke
NAL Representative: Mike Esman
Ex-Officio Members: Amy Paster (Archivist), Heather Moberly (Webmaster)
Incoming EC Members:
President-Elect: Mary Ochs
Directors: Connie Britton, Valrie Davis, Claudine Jenda
Treasurer’s Report: USAIN continues to be healthy financially and to maintain the required reserves. Total assets (checking, Money Market, & CDs) as of April 30, 2010 were $79, 788.13. Additional costs incurred this year relate to conference expenditure and scholarship awards.
President’s Report: Sheila presented highlights from her report:
- Budget Reserve Task Force recommended guidelines for establishing and maintaining appropriate reserve funds.
- Budget Task Force Committee drafted and submitted a budget for approval and proposed further steps to address budget concerns.
- Conference hosting criteria were revised to provide better clarity for future EC deliberations
- Membership Survey was conducted and analyzed. Member response is important, particularly with regard to conference preferences as it aids in future planning.
- Allison Level served on the Search Committee for the new NAL Director which culminated in the hiring of Dr. Simon Liu.
- Mentoring information was added to the Members section of the USAIN website.
- The Action Plan was revised and distributed via the listserv for member comments/suggestions/questions. These will be considered by the EC prior to finalizing the Plan.
- USAIN supplied a letter of support (no monetary contribution) for a College of Research Libraries (CRL) IMLS grant application to archive/preserve and possibly digitize significant agricultural materials. The Preservation Committee will take the lead on any future activity with this Project.
- A Professional Development Task Force was established to investigate member interest in and options for professional development activities such as webinars.
- The EC has been working on several membership-related issues such as the timing of dues invoices, updating of membership records and member information, and new member recruitment.
- A Letter of Welcome was sent to Dr. Simon Liu, the new Director of NAL.
- The USAIN website-hosting contract was reviewed for continued relevancy.
- The Membership Committee reported a total of 150 paid members this year.
- The Executive Committee held virtual meetings every month this year.
- A special virtual business meeting will be scheduled in the fall, in accordance with the Bylaws.
Sheila asked members to review their Interest Group selections for accuracy. A current listing was circulated.
2010 Conference Update: Marianne Stowell-Bracke reported a healthy conference registration and an attendance of 110-115. She thanked Elizabeth Berman for her good work in raising $15-$16K as Chair of the Sponsors and Exhibits Committee.
Awards: Sheila announced the 2010 award recipients:
1. New Professionals Scholarships: Amanda Werhane and Madeleine Charney
2. Student Scholarship: Karen Lindquist
3. Service to the Profession Award: Melanie Gardner
4. Honorary: Peter Young
Committee and Interest Group Recognition: Sheila encouraged member involvement and distributed certificates to Committee Chairs, Committee members, and Interest Group Conveners.
Concerns or Questions: Joy Paulson indicated that Cornell is archiving conference presentations and encouraged speakers to send their presentations to her at email@example.com.